Certified Home and Commercial Mold Inspections
Mold spores can be found everywhere, but mold will grow more aggressively in moist areas without proper ventilation, and on surfaces that do not dry easily. Modern building materials and methods, such as well-insulated homes where outside air does not easily come into the house, allow for mold growth.
While some types of fungi may be useful (to make antibiotics, cheeses, beer), others are toxic and potentially harmful. Increased awareness of sicknesses associated with mold and weariness by insurers to insure property that is mold-infested has made testing for mold almost a necessity when buying or selling a home.
Mold may or may not be visible. When it is, it appears as a surface stain or discoloration, or as a dark growth. At times, a musty smell is present. Mold poses a health hazard when present in large quantities called colonies.
Molds produce metabolites (MVOCs–Microbial Volatile Organic Compounds) and spores. Depending on the type of mold and the size of its colony, the MVOCs and spores may have the following qualities, which impact human health:
- Allergenic: Those that cause allergic reactions such as wheezing or runny nose
- Pathogenic: Those that may suppress the immune system and/or cause opportunistic infection in individuals who are immunocompromised
- Toxic: Those that may lead to more serious health problems
Determining which type of mold is present requires testing because species cannot be identified by sight alone. In some cases more than one species of mold may be present. Testing also helps reveal any mold which is not visibly apparent within an indoor space.
A certified mold inspector follows a set of standards and protocols to assure clients of the quality and comparability of test results.
Mike’s Home Inspections – CALL or TEXT for rates and availability 619.849.0640
Staci’s Home Inspections (Commercial Mold Inspections) – EMAIL or CALL for initial consultation email@example.com 310-948-9675